This recipe comes from the FIXATE cookbook. It is one of my absolute favorites AND it’s vegan!
1⁄3 cup fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp. ground cumin
1 Tbsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
1⁄3 cup olive oil
2 cans black beans, (15-oz. ea.) drained, rinsed
4½ tsp. red wine vinegar
Ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
4 cups water
2 cups dry quinoa, rinsed
1 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 medium orange bell pepper, finely chopped
1 medium yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
1 (10-oz.) bag frozen corn, thawed
1 bunch fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1. Combine lime juice, cumin, and salt in a medium bowl; whisk to blend.
2. Slowly add oil, while whisking constantly. Set aside.
3. Combine beans, vinegar, and pepper (if desired) in a medium bowl; mix well. Set aside.
4. Bring water to a boil in medium saucepan over high heat.
5. Add quinoa. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, for 10 to 12 minutes, or until all water has been absorbed. Remove from heat. Cool for 15 to 30 minutes. Set aside.
6. Place cooled quinoa in a large bowl. Fluff with a fork.
7. Add bell peppers, corn, cilantro, bean mixture, and dressing; toss gently to blend.
TIP: This salad is delicious when eaten immediately. It holds well, refrigerated, and can be eaten for 2 to 3 days.